Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Twitter Experiment

I personally found great fun in the twitter experiment. I really appreciated getting to know and use a tool I was not familiar with.

I think that another great thing about the twitter experiment was that I did have to get my responses to be rather short. Although it was difficult and daunting at first (which caused a greater time span between my responses), I got used to it and that made my responses feel clearer to me. Once I got in the habit of responding concisely, it made my points more valid.

Another benefit to the twitter exercise was that I felt more vocal. I felt more comfortable knowing that I could respond. I really don't know what it was, but I tweeted 22 times and that is certainly much more than I speak in class. Perhaps this is because I couldn't rely on other to speak what I'm feeling. I had to speak it myself-which is not always the case in class.

I did think it was hard to do this using literature as our discussion topic, but I do feel that it went well. Clearly, we weren't engaged with talking about the Hart Crane epigraph, but once we talked about casting characters with real actors and what these characters mean, the conversation was sparked. The use of twitter did make the discussion seem more choppy, but using this medium for discussion was really unique and brought a new perspective. I laughed a lot at how responses were phrased and I felt that this was really valuable.

I think one thing that can be improved is having a clear starting point. Yes, it was obvious that the casting with modern actors was the starting point, but I think maybe giving the class a head's up of where we'll be starting would have been beneficial. I could have thought more about my decision and I actually did not even respond to this question because I was so busy trying to narrow my thoughts down to certain actors.

No comments:

Post a Comment